Halifax, the capital of the Canadian province of Nova Scotia has the second largest natural harbor in the world. The location first drew the British here in 1749.
Today, two major toll bridges span the bay and connecting Halifax with Dartmouth, amalgamated with Halifax since 1996.
Economically, Halifax has always benefited most from war times. The permanently ice-free port is closer to Europe than the ports in the St. Lawrence Bay and ensured the maintenance of the war logistics. In the first and Second World War, convoys to support of the Allies in Europe were arranged here.
The harbor, the heart of Halifax, is next to the port of Vancouver one of the largest in North America. It serves as a passenger port, commercial port as well as military base.
The accumulation of military power caused a disaster for the city on December, 6th 1917. On this day the French ammunition freighter Mont Blanc collided with the Norwegian supply ship Imo and exploded. Over 1400 people lost their lifes, 9000 were injured and the city partially destroyed.
In addition to the natural harbor, the Halifax Citadel on the hill above the city, the Citadel Hill, played an important military role in Canadian history.
The present star-shaped citadel, completed in 1856, is officially called Fort George, named after King Georg II of Great Britain. It is a National Historic Site of Canada and a most important sight of Halifax. The powder magazine still is got in the original state.
During the season, students in historical costumes awake the citadel to live. A bagpiper must not be missed.
The flag pole was formerly used as a signal mast. The daily exercises give an insight about the communication of that time.
From the citadel you have a beautiful view of Halifax and the harbor.
Everywhere you see the colorful Harbour Hopper. The amphibious buses are a convenient way to explore the harbor and the sights of Halifax.
Text, photos and video: Copyright © myVideoMedia
Dieser Beitrag in: Deutsch