Did you know, that Africa loses 120 elephants, five lions and four rhinos every day?
50 years ago, there were 500,000 black rhinos in Africa. Today there are only 5,000 left on the whole continent.
Time is running out!
Every 7 hours a Rhino is killed in South Africa. Since 2010, rhinos killed by poaching in South Africa has increased from 333 to 1215 in 2014.
Wildlife poaching has become a major problem in Africa. The reason why the rhinos are being killed is driven primarily by buyers in East Asia, who ascribe various medicinal cure-alls to the horn, despite the fact that there is zero clinical evidence to suggest.
The street value of a horn is $65,000 a kg. That’s why also baby Rhinos are also being killed now, just for the nub.
Jeremy Scott Foster (Founder of Travelers Building Change) says:
“The rhino poaching situation in Africa is critical and, given the incredibly high cost of saving them, we wanted to focus our efforts on a difficult project that doesn’t get nearly as much attention as it should. With rhinos due to become extinct within the next 20 years, it seemed almost obvious that this was the organization we needed to support. ”
#JustOneRhino needs YOU
A global initiative called Rhino’s Without Boarders, lead by Travels Building Change, Green Travel Media and The Great Plains Foundation have launched the campaign #JustOneRhino to help raise awareness of the state of the rhino.
With the help of donations from around the world, the goal is to airlift up to 100 rhino’s from South Africa and relocate them into protected areas of Botswana. Botswana is a safer place for the species as it is a virtually corruption free, there are no accessible ports which makes smuggling more difficult, and they have a more stringent anti-poaching laws.
You can help and win amazing prizes!
The campaign runs until March 1st, 2015. Be sure to donate by March 1st!
When you donate, you’ll be put into a draw for the chance to win these amazing prizes. The more you give, the more entries you get! $20 gives you 10 entries, while $500 gives you $500 entries. You are going to want to give because these tours and trips span 10 countries on five continents!
- 10-day Galapagos Voyage for one Value $5,298 – International Expeditions Full Trip Details
- South Africa Big Five Safari: Kruger & KwaZulu-Natal + Swag Bag for 2 people. Value $5,000 – Adventure Life Full Trip Details
- Seven nights bed and breakfast in a Garden View suite. Value $5,187 – Cobblers Cove Hotel, Barbados
- 10 nights’ stay & wellness package for two people in Nicaragua Value $5,241 – Yemaya Island Hideaway & Spa, Nicaragua
- Secret Retreats
- Vouchers for 2 people at Bali Jiwa Villain in Bali, Indonesia. Value $1,000
- (2) Vouchers for 2 people at The Scent Hotel in Koh Samui, Thailand. Total Value $3000 ($1,500 for each 2-person package)
- Vouchers for 2 people at 4 Rivers Floating Lodge, Koh Kong, Cambodia. Value $900
- Vouchers for 2 people at Flower Island, Palawan, Philippines Value $900
Even if you are not able to donate, you can still support the project by sharing this with your family and friends and by using the hashtag #JustOneRhino on social media.
Dieser Beitrag in: Deutsch