This post is also available in: Deutsch
The Château des ducs de Bretagne (Castle of the Dukes of Brittany) impresses with its mighty fortification walls and through the good condition of its building in the Renaissance and Baroque style. After renovation at the beginning of the millennium, the castle was re-opened in 2007. It provides an impressive backdrop for official festivals and events.
A huge moat encompasses the entire bulwark.
The first castle on this place was built by Guy de Thouars in 1207 and steadily enlarged by his successors. Francois II built a new castle in 1466, which was expanded as a fortress. Anne de Bretagne strengthened the fortifications. At that time the castle served as a residence of the French kings in Brittany at that time. Later the fortifications were strengthened again.
Already in 1840 the Château des ducs de Bretagne has been listed as Monument Historique by the French Ministry of Culture.
Since 1915 the castle is owned by the city of Nantes and houses the Historical Museum.
Text, photos and video: Copyright © myVideoMedia