The city of Luxembourg* is the capital of the Grand Duchy of Luxembourg.
The Bock fiels (rock) with the castle and the upper town, rises above the valley of the Pétrusse river. Luxembourg was already inhabited by the Celts, and later by the Romans. The Franks forced the Romans back and brought Christianity into the country.
As of 16th Century, the city was expanded into one of the strongest fortresses in Europe. Burgundians, Spaniards, Frenchmen, Austrians and Prussians took turns in the political leadership.
At that time, the casemates and underground mine corridors were hewn out of the rock below the castle. The corridors and rooms had a total length of 23 km.
Since 1867, Luxembourg is regarded as neutral; nevertheless it was occupied twice by German troops. Luxembourg is a founding member of the European Union and headquarters of major European institutions.
The city of Luxembourg is one of the capitals the EU and an important financial center. In 2007, the city of Luxembourg was the European Capital of Culture.
Our city walk begins in the center of the old town. We pass the city residence of the Grand Duke – the Grand Ducal Palace – and visit the casemates.
Since 1994, the old town with the remains of the fortress is a UNESCO World Heritage site.
Text, photos and video: Copyright © myVideoMedia
Dieser Beitrag in: Deutsch