The Distillery District with its 44 halls, in the southeast of Toronto was once the largest whiskey distillery in the British Empire.
The company Gooderham and Worts built the premises in 1832 and produced already in the 1860s up to 2 million US gallons (7,600,000 L) of whiskey per year for the world market.
Today it serves as backdrop for movies such as Chicago and X-Men which were produced here. Toronto is the third-largest film and television production facility in North America.
A part of the area was transformed into a entertainment district with selected restaurants and art galleries. 1988, the Distillery District was declared as National Historic Site of Canada.
The Anglican St. James Cathedral with Canada’s highest steeple originally dates back to the end of the 18th Century.
After 56 years the cathedral burned down and was rebuild in Neo-Gothic style. The impressive stained glass windows of the artist Stuart Reid were unveiled by Queen Elizabeth II in 1997.
The well-kept surrounding park invites visitors to linger.
Right near one can visit Toronto’s first post office. Today it is a museum.
You might also be interested in >>> Toronto downtown
Dieser Beitrag in: Deutsch