The island of Poros is a small Greek island of volcanic origin in the Saronic Gulf.
In ancient times the island was called Kalavria. Here, Poseidon was especially honored. According to ancient mythology, Poseidon gave the island of Delphi in exchange for Poros to Apollo.
In 1828, the first Greek borders were defined during a meeting of the first head of state of independent Greece, Ioannis Kapodistrias, with diplomats from Britain, France and Russia on the island of Poros.
We reach the idyllic island of Poros coming from the south. The weather is not very welcoming and it is the beginning of November. The main tourist season is over and therefore only few people on the streets.
A few years ago we’ve visited this region in beautiful sunshine, but we have seen the island and the town only from Galata on the Peloponnese.
Most of the town of Poros is built on a hill situated on the small peninsula Sferia. This time we take the steep climb to the clock tower of Poros. Here it turns out to be an advantage that not as many tourists are traveling.
The view is great. Cacti bloom next to the way and Aleppo pine trees provide shade. We can understand why Poros is a popular destination for Athenians.
The sellers are starting to bring their goods from the street to the shops and to welcome the evening. We enjoy the hustle and bustle from the ship deck over a cup of coffee.
While leaving Poros direction Aegina we look back at the pretty panorama slightly wistful.
Disclosure: We were kindly invited by Hydraiki and as always, all opinions about our experiences are our own.
Text, photos and video: Copyright © myVideoMedia
Dieser Beitrag in: Deutsch