Dieser Beitrag in: Deutsch
Museu del Mar, the Maritime Museum is right on the beach promenade, the Passeig de Cinto Verdaguer, in Lloret de Mar. It is housed in the former Casa Garriga, a surviving example of the glorious past.
Casa Garriga was built on behalf of Eric Garriga i Mataró and completed in 1887. He was one of the so-called Indianos, people who left for Cuba or the West Indies and came back once they had made a fortune overseas. Together with his brother, he had founded a company for building materials in 1860. His son lived in this house until 1955. The city of Lloret de Mar purchased the building and converted it to a museum of local history and culture in 1982.
Over the years, the original museum concept was modernized and supplemented with multimedia elements, converting Can Garriga into the new Maritime Museum. Integrated didactic and playful elements take the visitors on a journey through the history of Lloret and its close connection to the sea.
The “Itinerary” is divided into five areas: Sons of the sea, Mediterranean, The doors to the ocean, Lloret after the sailing ships and Beyond the beach.
Already at the entrance, the sailing ship models demonstrate the connection between Lloret and the sea.
Once a small fishing village, later with its own shipbuilding industry, Loret experienced an enormous upswing in the 19th century by the Indianos who had built trade relations overseas. With the development of steam navigation, the trade routes and the sailing ship industry Lloret took a tumble. One concentrated again on the fishing.
In the mid-19th century, tourism became the main source of employment.
We were particularly fascinated by the old photographs that give the exhibited objects a face and tell a lot about the lives and the fate of their owners.
From the terrace of the museum you have a wonderful view across the beach and the promenade.
Find the best prices for your stay in Lloret de Mar*
See also -> La Dona Marinera e Castillo de San Juan