The Santi Chai Prakan Park and the Phra Sumen Fort are in the Phra Arthit Road, near the Rama-VIII bridge on the shore of the Chao Phraya. From Khao San Road it’s an about five-minute walk. The nearest express boat pier is Tha Phra Athit (No 13).
Santi Chai Prakan Park
The park was transformed from an abandoned space of a sugar factory and completed 1999. King Rama IX named it Santi Chai Prakan Park, meaning The park with a fort that symbolized the victory of peacefulness.
The Santi Chai Prakan mansion, built as a wooden Thai-style pavilion, was built to celebrate the 60th birthday of King Rama IX (King Bhumipol) on the 5th of December 1999.
The Santi Chai Prakan Park is of great popularity and a heaven of peace in this lively city.
Besides a wonderful view of the Chao Phraya River, you find beautiful tropical trees, like the more than 100 years old Lam Phu Tree.
On the southwestern edge of the park is a beautiful relief, which originally belonged to a monastery.
Phra Sumen Fort
The Phra Sumen Fort is at the northeastern end of the park. Built in 1783 by King Rama I, it was one of 14 forts to defend the new capital against invasion.
It was made from bricks coated with cement in octagon-shape and is 10.5 m heigh. The size from the northern side to the southern side is 45 meters wide. In the middle of the fort, there are 38 rooms for ammunition and weaponry.
With the modernization of Bangkok, the old city fortifications were no longer needed and most of them gradually fell into disrepair or were demolished. Today, Phra Sumen Fort and Mahakan Fort are the only still standing. In 1949, Phra Sumen Fort became as National Monument and was renovated in 1981.
In 2015, it was renovated again. Equipped with the original guns, it shines in new splendor.
The beautiful renovated colonial building right next to the park houses the seat of a TV production company.
Text, photos and video: Copyright © myVideoMedia
Dieser Beitrag in: Deutsch