This morning we are already at 7 o’clock at the Charles Bridge. Apart from us, some Asian couples are already on the way, trying to take wedding photos without a lot of tourists.
The sun shines flat from the east and offers pleasant plays of light and shadow.
The Charles Bridge, built in the 14th century is the oldest preserved stone bridge in Prague.
On both sides of the bridge, you find baroque sculptures, dating from the 17th century. At each end of the bridge is a mighty watchtower. The Charles Bridge connects the Old Town of Prague with the Lesser Town, Mala Strana.
Mala Strana used to be the preferred neighborhood for the nobility and the upper class. Our time was not enough for a detailed tour, so we returned to the old town.
Past the new town hall and the restaurant Franz Kafka, we reach the old town hall again. This time we take a closer look at the Orloj, the Astronomical Clock.
In the two windows above the dial, you see “The Walk of the Apostles” every full hour between 9.00 and 22.00 o’clock.
The clock of the city hall and the clockwork were already several times about to be scrapped. But fortunately, this work of art has always been rescued.
At the northern end of the Old Town Square is St. Nicholas Church. A chandelier dominates the inside of the baroque church. The Russian Tsar dedicated it to the Orthodox Church. Today, the church also serves as a concert hall.
We walk along the Celetna and reach the House of the Black Madonna. The Madonna was already the emblem of the previous house.
The new house, built in 1911 is in the style of the Czech cubism. First, it served a department store, later the Cubism Museum. Today, it houses a Cafe on the second floor.
Only a few meters further, the street ends at the Powder Tower. It was once part of the fortifications of the royal court.
Instead of the royal court, one built the Municipal House, Obecní dům. Only a small passage between the Powder Tower and the Municipal House remains of the original royal court.
The Celetna begins at the Powder Tower and, led as part of the Royal Route from the Royal Court via Charles Bridge to Prague Castle.
In 1984, one relocated the seat of government of the king from the Royal Court to the Prague Castle. From 1905 to 1911, the Obecni düm was built instead of the royal court. In front of it is Republic Square.
The Prague Municipal House is a beautiful Art Nouveau building, which is also the seat of the Prague Symphony Orchestra. On the ground floor, there is a Cafe and a restaurant in the Art Nouveau style.
Upstairs are richly decorated event and meeting rooms, as well as the fantastic Smetana Hall, the centerpiece of the building.
This impressive concert hall under the Art Nouveau dome can accommodate 1200 people. Regular concerts take place here, including those of the Prague Spring. A visit to the upper floor is only possible in the context of one of the four daily guided tours.
Since there is no guided tour at the time of our visit, we go to the Cafe and let the atmosphere have an effect on us.
Please read on > Jewish Synagogues in Prague
Pin it for later
Text, photos and video: Copyright © myVideoMedia
Dieser Beitrag in: Deutsch