Accompany us to the seaports Chania, 100 km west of Heraklion, and Rethymno.
On our way to the Lasithi plateau we visit a Venetian spring house and the biggest plane tree of Crete which forms the center of the small mountain village Krasi.
In 1631, the Venetians built windmills for the irrigation of the Lasithi plateau. Meanwhile most were replaced by electrical pumps.
We reach the cave of Psychro, also known as Dictaean Cave. It was the most important place of worship of the Minoans. According to legend it is the birthplace of Zeus.
One kilometer east of the village of Milatos is the cave of the same name. The first finds date from the Neolithic period, however the cave became known during the Greek Revolution for Greek Christians looking for refuge against the Egyptian-Turkish troops.
Shortly before the village of Kritsa is the three-nave church Panagia Kera. The wall paintings in the nave, the oldest part of the church date from the 13th Century.
Text, photos and video: Copyright © myVideoMedia
Dieser Beitrag in: Deutsch