Filming in 4K – We would like to share some experiences we gathered during our travels
- Calculate enough time for each scene. The tripod is build and line up after that to check the camera positions without any hurry. (Can be written easily, however, it cannot always be done in the practice)
- For dark scenes a Headlight is recommended. Is it big and powerful, it is allowed to often be at the hotel. If it is smaller and less powerful, outdoors it is of no use, but indoors it is often a great help.
- The battery capacity of the PXW-Z100 is exhausted more rapidly than the one of the FX1. For the FX1 the Sony NP-F970 is sufficient for one day. When filming with the PXW-Z100 a replacement battery should be taken in any case; better 2. For the Panasonic Lumix GH4 a screw off Battery Pack is recommended. Here, a second battery can be inserted.
- To conduct an interview with a good sound, ENG microphones should be used. We use a receiver and a transmitter with clip-on lavalier microphones. Or a receiver and a hand transmitter with directional microphone. If both the questioner and the interviewee can be understood quite well, it is advisable to use a handheld transmitter with the microphone. But again: Often, out of convenience, these things stay in the hotel or can not be used due to time constraints.
- In any case, a remote control at the swivel arm of the tripod is recommended. Zooms can be carried out much softer and precisely. For the PXW-Z100, we use a Sony remote control, by which the focus can also be adjusted manually.
- The focus of the PTW-Z100 reacts a little nervous at long range. Therefore, it is recommended to switch of the manual focus when zooming in. In order to achieve a sharp zoom operation, it is good to focus the zoom lens on the distance first. In the meantime a new firmware update was release. Now the focus seams to react better.
- Set the movie camera to at least 1/50 sec with the shutter manually. Iris, gain and focus can remain in automatic position. As a result, the images get sharper, especially when pausing the video. If it is not possible in difficult lighting conditions, then set the shutter to automatic. In sunshine and water set the shutter to 1/300 sec or more.
- A weakness in 4K is the setting of the focus. In bright light you can hardly see anything on the display. Even through the eyepiece, it is difficult, especially for me since I am person wearing glasses. From time to time the diopter setting changes. This is a point where the PXW-Z100 could be improved. An improvement offers the edge enhancement effect.
- If the forecast indicates rain, always bring a rain cover for the camera.
- Pack a power strip. Smartphone, Tablet, batteries for camera film, camera and laptop, need to be charged every night. The number of electrical outlets are often not sufficient in the hotel rooms.
- Turn the Steady Shot off when panning
Peaking and Zebra are already set on a quick button at the PXW-Z100. We have set peaking, marking (to know where the focus should be set) and the red recording light on the variable buttons. In some situations, it can be helpful to turn the red recording light off. What are your experiences? We appreciate your comments and tips!
Text, photos and video: Copyright © myVideoMedia
Dieser Beitrag in: Deutsch