On the way to Telliskivi, we see the seat of the prime minister of Estonia high above our heads. The building lies on the slope of the Domberges and is visible from afar.
Below the former bastion is the Hirvepark. It is not only known for its plant diversity, but also as a symbol of the restoration of the independence of the Republic of Estonia. At the end of the 1980s, it was the meeting place for the Singing Revolution.
Telliskivi is a neighborhood of Tallinn. It lies behind the main railway station, Balti jaam. Within the last few years, it has developed into the creative center of Tallin. The creative campus is in a brick building. It consists, of theaters and event halls, where cultural events take place.
There are also some design and furnishing shops, as well as restaurants and cafes. A flea market takes place here every Saturday. Unique is the Peatus, a café in former railroad wagons.
The neighborhood of Kalamaja borders directly on Telliskivi. The houses in Russian wooden construction embody a cozy urban feeling of life. This has also been recognized by the Bohemians of Tallinn.
Today, Kalamaja is one of the most coveted areas in Tallinn. This leads to a strong gentrification. It can be recognized by the fact that the new houses are built in the same style like the old ones between them.
Lennusadam – Seaplane Harbor
Lennusadam, one of the harbors of Tallinn, lies on the coast in front of Kalamaja. In 1912 one started to construct a gigantic hangar for seaplanes.
The seaplanes controlled the Finnish gulf, to recognize approaching units in the crisis case at an early stage.
Today, the area is a part of the marine museum. The exhibition includes submarines, watercrafts, icebreakers, minesweepers, and patrol boats, as well as modern sports boats. One is particularly proud of the submarine Lembit from 1937 and the Suur Töll, an ice breaker from the year 1914.
From here, we have a nice view of Tallinn, starting at TV tower, to the shell-shaped roof of the Tallinn Song Festival Ground. The song festival took place for the first time in 1869 and became an important link for the Estonian national feeling. Since then it takes place every 5 years. 100.000 visitors may enter the grounds.
The Linnahaal is also a multi-purpose hall, which was completed on the occasion of the Summer Olympics in 1980. The compact complex represents the typical Soviet concrete architecture. Sport and art exhibitions take place here on a regular basis.
We enjoy the atmosphere and watch the departure of the cruise ship Serenade of the Seas.
Please read on -> Patarei and Walls of Tallinn
Pin it for later
Text, photos and video: Copyright © myVideoMedia
Dieser Beitrag in: Deutsch